This gut friendly pumpkin bread recipe is gluten, sugar, dairy & preservative free! And it is seriously the bees knees. It one hundred percent saved me and my bread cravings when I was on a strict diet (gut healing protocol). The spectacular smell of freshly baked bread that flows through the house while this pumpkin bread bakes is literal heaven.
Gluten Free Pumpkin Bread
Unlike almost all gluten free breads, this loaf is full of nutrients, free from preservatives and inflammatory oils. It is really unfortunate that most breads, even those market as ‘healthy’ contain inflammatory oils. A huge part of my gut healing protocol and gut friendly living moving forward was eliminating seed oils to the best of my ability. This includes vegetable, canola, sunflower, corn, safflower, soybean and grapeseed oils (I’m sure there are more). Basically I stick to coconut, olive and avocado oil or butter and ghee.
It stores in the freezer really well and defrosts easily for a quick snack or addition to a meal.
What type of pumpkin is best to use for this recipe?
You might be wondering what type of pumpkin to use for this recipe and the answer is, it depends. Basically, they all work. I really like the taste of butternut pumpkin in this recipe due to the sweet taste however when I was healing my gut I would typically stick to kent or jap pumpkin. As long as you bake the pumpkin until it is soft, it will work in this recipe.
How to Serve Pumpkin Bread
Honestly, this pumpkin bread is delicious as is, especially while still warm from the oven but here are some delicious ideas for serving:
- Have a slice or two with bacon and eggs for breakfast
- Toast the pumpkin bread and top with smashed avocado and chili flakes
- Spread with butter or ghee and enjoy the divine simplicity
- Spread with ricotta or a herb cream cheese
- Toasted or fresh, dip pieces of pumpkin bread into a healthy hummus recipe like this one.
Ingredients for Pumpkin Bread
- Pumpkin Puree – you can use tinned unsweetened pumpkin puree but please be sure not to confuse this with pumpkin pie filling, these are not the same thing. Pumpkin pie filling contains a lot of sugar and added ingredients. Alternatively you can make your own by following the “pumpkin puree” recipe instructions below.
- Buckwheat flour
- Almond meal
- Baking powder
- Apple cider vinegar
- Salt & pepper
- Herbs like rosemary, oregano and thyme
- Pumpkin and/or sunflower seeds
How to Make Pumpkin Bread
- Mix buckwheat flour, almond meal and baking powder with pumpkin.
- Mix in eggs and ACV.
- Add salt, pepper and herbs.
- Line a loaf tin with grease proof paper, pour mixture into tin and sprinkle seeds on top
- Bake at 180 degrees for approximately 35mins
- Allow to cool in tin before transferring to a wire rack
- Cut into 10 even slices.
- Enjoy on its own, with avocado, butter, hummus or eggs.
How to Store Pumpkin Bread
Once you have sliced the pumpkin bread into pieces, I usually like to store at least half of the batch in the freezer. You can individually wrap the slices in plastic wrap or store inside a reusable zip lock pouch. I place a small piece of baking paper between each slice inside the zip lock bag to stop the pieces from sticking together.
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, PLEASE CONSIDER LEAVING A RATING AND/OR COMMENT BELOW. THIS IS THE BEST (FREE) WAY TO SUPPORT MY BUSINESS AND ASSIST FELLOW READERS
Pumpkin Bread Recipe
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp herbs (rosemary, oregano, thyme)
- 1 tbsp pepitas and sunflower seeds
- Preheat your oven to 180C and prepare a baking sheet.
- Slice pumpkin in half and then into quarters. Place on the baking sheet, skin side up and bake for 30-40 minutes until completely cooked through and soft.
- Remove pumpkin from the oven and allow to cool slightly so that you can safely handle. Use forks or a spoon to flip the pumpkin pieces over and scoop out the soft inside.
- Measure out the required one cup for this recipe and store the rest for later or use to make my delicious pumpkin soup recipe found under "savoury" on this site.
Pumpkin Bread Recipe
- Combine coconut flour, buckwheat flour, baking powder, salt, pepper and herbs in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs with apple cider vinegar and almond milk.
- Add the pumpkin puree and coconut oil to the mixture and combine.
- Transfer the batter to a loaf pan lined with baking paper and use the back of a spoon to smooth the top. Sprinkle seeds on top and bake for approximately thirty minutes or until a skewer inserted to the middle of the loaf, comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for at least ten minutes before removing from the pan and transferring to a wire cooling rack.
- Slice into ten pieces and serve straight away or store for later.
Did you make this pumpkin bread recipe?
Share a photo and tag me on Instagram @feedthatblonde – I absolutely love seeing you recreate my recipes